The Writing Course teaches a wide array of techniques and strategies to improve persuasive and creative writing. Filled with concrete examples and exercises, it will equip you with the writing know-how to transform the work of even your most challenged students.
Areas covered include:
- Using mind maps for a near-endless supply of ideas: accessing the power of whole-brain thinking.
- How to use three-step planning to get your persuasive writing pieces completed more quickly.
- Child-proof techniques to persuade even a reluctant student.
- How to work backwards to ensure a coherent argument – and keep kids on point!
- How to use concrete descriptions to inject life and tension into otherwise dull creative writing.
- Simple methods for eliminating unnecessary words that dilute the power of your students’ prose.
- The two keys to making boring dialogue interesting.
- How to use mind mapping to plot page-turning fiction.
- Choosing the right point-of-view to engage even the most cold-hearted reader.
Jeremy O'Carroll has been the Fitzroy Method Director of Training for the past 10 years and has trained teachers and parents in many countries around the world, including Australia, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, India, Malaysia and Thailand. He is the author of the Fitzroy Readers 11X-20X, The Fitzroy Method Teacher’s Guide and Full Speed – a novel about having the courage to live your dreams. He has also lectured and tutored at the University of Melbourne.